Sciences Po Rennes
A PRESTIGE UNIVERSITY-LEVEL COLLEGE ON A HUMAN SCALE
Founded in 1991, Sciences Po Rennes is a public institution of higher education whose mission is to train students from over the world for jobs in the public, private and associative sectors of activity in France, Europe and the rest of the world.
The professional opportunities are exponential. The multi-disciplinary nature of the training combined with the innovative teaching methods enable students to acquire specific knowledge and skills that are recognised and thought by companies, local authorities, associations, etc. in a society that is constantly changing.
The initial training, a five-year course, is based on a unique pedagogical model. A multidisciplinary training of excellence in the field of human and social sciences (law, economics, history, political science) which allows to apprehend a great diversity of approaches and tools for analysis of the contemporary world with all the challenges and transformations in the making for the world of tomorrow.
- Course in two cycles :
- 1st cycle / Bachelor: 1st and 2nd year in a common overall course + 3rd years abroad.
- 2nd cycle / Master: specialisation and professional training in Master 1 and Master 2. In Public Policy, Organizational Management, International Affairs, Journalism.
Sciences Po Rennes also offers specific courses such as the integrated Franco-German curriculum, Chinese Studies-Chinese Worlds or the INSA - Sciences Po Rennes course of excellence (double degree).
Sciences Po Rennes has a preparation centre for the ENA (the National School of Administration), and a competitive range of exams for the senior state public services, territorial public services and public hospital services.
The Caen Campus - Campus des transitions, has been open since 2012 and offers training from the 2nd to the 5th year on sustainable development, territorial transitions and dialogue.
Every year, Sciences Po Rennes welcomes more than 1,300 students in our initial training program, including 200 international students. Science Po also meets the needs of lifelong continuing education through programs adapted to a large range of individuals of every sector: employees, the self-employed, company directors, job seekers, elected officials, etc.
A whole host of assets – and values to match
- A robust teaching approach: combining the mindset and practices of French grandes écoles (a selective entrance examination, learning in small groups, close engagement with professionals, etc.) with the best university traditions, the Sciences Po approach has demonstrated its success in multidisciplinary education at the highest levels.
- Understanding the world by studying multiple disciplines: with a common core covering subjects such as law, economics, history, and social science, the goal of a Sciences Po education is to give all students a sound and diverse knowledge base enabling them to have a clear grasp of the key issues in the world of today – and tomorrow.
- Vocational teaching: the second part of the standard course is vocational, enabling students to be immediately operational in the world of work. Course tracks are designed and developed in collaboration with professionals from the relevant sectors, ensuring they match employment market needs and expectations.
- Unique supervision: supervision is on a small group basis, with practical seminars playing a key role. These conferences de méthode involve groups of around twenty students, with a focus on active, participatory learning.
- Equal opportunities policy: a large number of schemes and initiatives directed at secondary and high school pupils seek to raise awareness of the courses on offer and ensure greater diversity in the student intake.
- Personal careers advice: starting in the first year and throughout the course, students receive careers guidance and advice about how to find their first job. Internships are recommended, and in some cases mandatory, for many courses.
- A highly pronounced international flavour: as evidenced by its practice of having all students spend a year abroad, Sciences Po Rennes has a strong international emphasis. Europe and the rest of the world are taken into account in the teaching content. The study of two foreign languages is mandatory. The international ethos of the school is also demonstrated by the fact that 20% of our students are from abroad.
A distinctive identity
While Sciences Po Rennes has adopted the model developed by the Sciences Po network, it also cultivates a very specific identity based on innovation, agility, and audacity:
- We’re committed to a range of innovative and distinctive specialist subjects, raising our profile in fields such as the analysis of public policy and its relationship with local government, journalism and the media, development economics, European and international affairs, public health, and the managerial aspect of risk management.
- This is due to the quality of our Preparation Centre for ENA and other major entrance examinations.
- We have one of the best social science research teams in France (CRAPE/CNRS) on site; the importance of the research engaged in by academics on faculty is another driving force in our high scientific standards.
- We take care to ensure that the value we place on knowledge never stifles the qualities of entrepreneurship and the values of solidarity.
- We’re also committed to playing our part in a city that’s home to 69,000 students – and to 13,000 jobs in research and higher education. Rankings in weekly magazines and visitor feedback alike regularly put Rennes in top position in France in terms of quality of life for students.
Marianne Rufet – Communications Manager